Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

On Multiple Sclerosis

The other day, I received a sad news from my cousin. She shared to me that her Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is getting worse and it's affecting her really hard. You see, for many years now my dear cousin has been suffering from this disease. According to what I've researched about her condition, multiple sclerosis is an illness where the nerves of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) degenerate. Myelin, which provides a covering or insulation for nerves, improves the conduction of impulses along the nerves and also is important for maintaining the health of the nerves. In multiple sclerosis, inflammation causes the myelin to disappear.

I really feel sad for my cousin because she's still very young and she has a very promising life ahead of her. I just told her not to lose hope because I believe that there is an MS treatment for patients like her. I learned from a doctor-friend that there are many drugs available in the market today that are being used in treating multiple sclerosis. These drugs also slow progression of the disease or even reduce the number of attacks or the number of MRI lesions.

I also advised my cousin to practice a healthy lifestyle, that is to eat and live healthily. Today, there are many recommendations suggesting the best nutrition for Multiple Sclerosis Diet. According to studies even if these Multiple Sclerosis Diets don't benefit, it has been scientifically proven that having sensible eating habits has a strong and beneficial impact on many aspects of heath. I just hope my cousin follows this and maintain a good eating habit so that she will be well always despite her present condition.

Praying for a speedy recovery for my cousin.